PlanetSide 2 is a popular free-to-play action MMO game developed by Sony Online Entertainment. It features a massive combat on a battlefield filled with dozens of players fighting for their factions. PlanetSide 2 takes science-fiction games to next level and makes Mass Effect/Crysis obsolete.
PlanetSide 2 is based SOE’s Forelight Physics Engine it relies heavily on your PC’s resources to give you the breathtaking detailed graphics during online gameplay. I see a lot of people having PlanetSide 2 lags and FPS low/dropping issues so, here are some tweaks/fix.
[Fix] How to Increase PlanetSide 2 FPS:
Here’s a temporary workaround for increasing PlanetSide 2 FPS by 20-30 in battles.
- Navigate to your PlanetsSide 2 installation directory. For Steam it’s in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\PlanetSide All others, right click your PS2 icon, go to properties, and click on open file location.
- Open up your UserOptions.ini file in your PlanetSide 2 directory with notepad.
- Change ShadowQuality to ShadowQuality=0.
- Change RenderDistance to RenderDistance=1000
- Change FloraQuality to FloraQuality=0.
- Change VSync to VSync=0
- Click Save.
- Launch PlanetSide 2.
If the above tips don’t work for you, try these:
Lower your graphic settings
Works most of the time when your PC is incapable of running game smoothly.
- Revert your game to default
- Try lowering Render settings from 100% to 85%
- Now, Connect to a low-populated server and press ALT+F to check FPS (check left-top corner to screen).
- Reduce the audio quality or completely disable it.
- If that doesn’t work, keep changing your game resolution, texture quality, particles and other settings until you your game becomes smooth.
Update your Graphics card driver
Video card manufacturers provide frequent update to graphics card for better compatibility with games and other software. Upgrading the video driver usually fixes most of the issues, you can find latest drivers here:
Nvidia Drivers: here
AMD Drivers: here
Use a 64 Bit Operating System
PlanetSide 2 only supports 64bit architecture processors. Using 32bit OS is not a good idea. If you’re using multiple core CPU, it’s better install Windows 64 bit edition for increased compatibility.
Close Background Programs
Close unnecessary applications such as uTorrent, Skype and other P2P software while playing. They sometimes cause conflict and lower the game performance. Put PlanetSide 2 in your firewall/antivirus safe-list. Also, do not use game stats tracking such as; xFire and WeGame.
* Make back-up of your game original configuration files before making any changes.
* Use of SweetFX is no longer allowed, it will lead to account suspension.